Friday, June 24, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal

The Homeschool Mother's Journal



In my life this week…

Lots of household projects......must get off Blogger and continue. =)

My daughter painted her room almost entirely by herself and is so excited about her new comforter and the changes we are adding bit-by-bit to make her space more in keeping with her current tastes.

Yesterday, I happily ripped off this weird, ugly grid-like thing that was on our bathroom ceiling.  Our home was built in the '80s, and I'm not sure of the wisdom that went into some of the design choices.  What a difference getting that eyesore out of there makes, plus a fresh coat of paint.  Applying the second coat today....and considering ripping the same grid-like thing off of the ceiling of the upstairs bathroom even though that's the last room on the to-do list.  I just can't stand to look at it one-more-minute. ; )



In our homeschool this week…

Not the most productive week due to lots of coming-and-going and Mom working on lots of projects, but we did do a little Math, Spelling and Language Arts.  Slow and steady wins the race. =)


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

Not sure it's helpful and it's not really a tip, but......Be ready.  EVERY DAY.  To pass into Eternity. 
None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, or a this afternoon.

I know it's somber.....but it's something we all need reminding of sometimes, and is a fresh one that I've recently received.


I am inspired by…

The unshakable faith of a family I have admired and respected since the moment I met them, a family you can literally look at and see the love and fruitfulness of Christ in......regardless of circumstances (see below), and of seeing the body of Christ come together in their time of need.  It is a beautiful thing in the midst of heartbreaking tragedy.


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

We went blueberry picking again, this time with another family (well, minus the men-folk).  So fun...even in the heat!!


My favorite thing this week was…

Lots of favorites ~  dinner with friends on Saturday evening, blueberry pancakes for breakfast on Father's Day,  finding treasures on Tuesday....and then having dinner with our new dishes =), and picking more blueberries!


What’s working/not working for us…

My meal planning (or lack of it) lately.  With so many things going on, I've found it hard to make time to do the actual planning.  My standing in the kitchen in front of the pantry or refrigerator waiting for inspiration is not very productive.  This is not like me and it's driving me crazy......MUST find time to get back to having this area of life under control.  It's so much less stressful ~ and more fun to cook ~ when I know what it will be beforehand!


Questions/thoughts I have…

What insane person thought that popcorn ceilings were a good idea?!  It's a thought that keeps entering my head as we work on our home......Why????  Why???? Why????


I’m cooking…

Something today.  Just don't know what yet.  I haven't actually gotten around to what I mentioned above. ; )


I’m grateful for…

My SIL, who is coming over to watch my children tonight so that my husband and I can go out on a DATE.  I had to look that word up in the dictionary to remember what it was ~ it's been so long! ; )


I’m praying for…

The Appelo family ~ one of the sweetest families I know lost their husband and father last week.  We are praying for this homeschooling mother and her seven children daily. 


A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

We signed up for the Bob Jones Summer Reading program......check it out!   Not only has it given us new books to discover from their reading list, but there's also the opportunity for your children to win a collection of free books or a grand prize of a Kindle! =)......."Read in the Deep End"

5 comments:

Larri said...

You are busy! ☺ I love that your daughter painted her room all by herself. What a cool Mom you are. I'd be fretting the entire time. LOL

PS...Bob Jones School (and BJU Press) is a few miles from where I live. It used to be around the corner from my previous house. Excellent books! Thanks for the heads up on their summer reading program. Sometimes when things are right under your nose, you miss them!

Happy Friday! ☺

Jade Clark said...

I am with you on the popcorn ceiling thing, what the heck? Lol. They're sooo annoying, difficult to clean, impossible to paint. Ugh!

THanks for the tip on the BJ reading program, didn't know about that one! Stopping by from the HMJ. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE our blog! Thanks for the reminder about being ready for eternity-we do all need that reminder! I hope you will post pictures of your projects:)

{LyndsD} said...

So much busy... so much fun. Your week sounds fantastic. Popcorn ceilings... ugh! When you find the answer please let me know too. I haven't heard of the BJU Summer reading program. I will definitely have to check that out. Thanks. :) I do not know the homeschool family in which you spoke about but I will definitely be keeping that family close in prayer.

Unknown said...

Your comment about being ready at all times hit close to my heart, especially after the loss of my FIL. It has been a tough few weeks.

Kudos for you letting your daughter paint her room!! Woohoo!