These calzones are always a hit with my family. =) I make my own pizza dough and double the sauce to make sure we have plenty for dipping. I also frequently toss in 1 cup of frozen green pepper/ red pepper/ onion blend instead of the onion and bell pepper called for. I have made them with ground beef, but our *favorite* way is with leftover roast beef. Either way, they're good! These freeze well also. Try them. You'll like them. If you don't, your kids will! ; )
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb beef roast
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup A-1 Steak Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 (11 ounce) packages refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded ( 8 oz.)
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook beef, onion, pepper and garlic until beef is no longer pink, stirring to break up meat;drain.
- Keep warm.
- In small skillet, over medium-high heat, heat tomato sauce, steak sauce & Italian seasoning to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir 1 cup tomato sauce mixture into beef mixture; set aside.
- Keep remaining tomato sauce mixture warm. Unroll pizza dough from 1 package; divide into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into 6 square; spoon 1/3 cup reserved beef mixture onto center of each square.
- Top with ¼ cup cheese.
- Fold dough over to form triangle.
- Press edges together, sealing well with tines of a fork.
- Repeat with remaining dough, filling & cheese to make a total of 8 calzones.
- Bake at 400* for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with warm sauce. Garnish as desired. Serves 8.
Notice my new banner? Come back next Thursday for another recipe.....I've put myself on schedule! =)