Thursday, October 13, 2011

♪ Oh Soul, Are You Weary and Troubled....♪


Wife-ing.  Mom-ing.  Meal Planning.  Couponing.  Grocery Shopping.  Cooking.  Baking.  Cleaning.  Cleaning.  Cleaning.  Referee-ing.  Teaching.  Studying.  Learning.  Working.  Budgeting.  Paying.  Homeschooling.  Planning.  Field Tripping.  Driving.  Churching.  Taxi-ing.  Churching.  Choir-ing.  Children's, Middle School, and Adult (<--- selfishly).  Serving.  Cooking.  Baking.  Cleaning.  Cleaning.  Cleaning.  Undone household projects.  Waiting.  Waiting.  Waiting  (Grrrrrr). Sewing.  Teaching sewing. Teaching sewing some more.  Bookkeeping. Shopping.  Hair Cutting.  Phone calling.  Emailing.  Networking.  Working.  Sweeping.  Vacuuming.  PET HAIR.  Party planning.  Cleaning.  Cleaning.  Party Attending.  Blogging.  Reading. Working more. Grooming.  Them & myself.  Cooking.  Cleaning.  Sewing.  Sewing.  Sewing.  And more sewing.

"Mom, can you?", "Mom can I?", "Mom, can we?", "Jill, can you?"  "could you?", "would you?".

Sigh.


Ummmmm, Really???

I completely get the idea behind this little catchphrase, but admit I wonder at the person who came up with it. I don't think this person has much in common with me.  ; )  

I also think that this phrase could make some people feel very guilty for being, well.......REAL.  And NORMAL.

Am I blessed?  Without a doubt.

Beyond Measure.

Am I thankful?  Absolutely.

Every day.  

Am I stressed?  Do I sometimes feel so overwhelmed that I can't focus and I think if I don't get a break somewhere, somehow, that the men in white coats will surely come haul me away?



I've instructed my children that if this ever does actually happen, they are required by law to come and visit me.  ; )

I am BLESSED.  In more ways than my tiny little overworked and underpaid ; ) brain can even begin to fathom.  I have the three most incredible children ever created {I know....you think yours are...sorry to burst your bubble ; ) }, I have love, I have awesomely fabulous friends, I have a roof over my head, food to eat, ♥music♥ to sing, ♥homeschooling♥, pets to pet, and work I can do from home using talents that He so graciously gave to me so that I can stay at home.

But to be honest, to be REAL.....with many wonderful blessings come stress.  There are things I do because I want to and things I do because I have to.  I haven't figured out how to let any of those things go at this season of my life, because for the most part.....they are dependent on each other.

And so I strive for balance.  And on those days when I can actually hear the men in white coats coming down the street because balance is nowhere in sight......I realize that in all the busy-ness, in all the chaos of life,  my focus has shifted from the One who gives me the strength to be all He's called me to be in this season to the things He's called me to.

I know I'm not the only one out there juggling so many balls in life right now that they're often tripping all over the ones that have fallen around them.  I know I'm not the only one who gets weary and overwhelmed........and when my eyes are focused on the things, the impossible list of tasks and responsibilities that I cannot fulfill in my own strength, I know that I forgot to give them to the One who gives me the strength in the first place.

Or, more accurately....I did give them to Him, but then I took them back.  Why do I do that?!  Sometimes I wonder why He doesn't stop accepting my apologies and just give up on me....but I'm thankful that He doesn't.

I'm thankful that He never fails to feed my hungry soul in so many ways despite the fact that I don't deserve it. When I seek Him, when I spend time in His Word and in prayer, when I keep the Main Thing the Main Thing,  I find that everything still doesn't get done every day.  The difference is.....I have peace, I have something resembling balance, and I find that all those balls on the floor and the ones still in the air don't seem so overwhelming.

And amazingly enough, He feeds my soul even when I push that time with Him right out of my schedule.  He feeds me with a song I needed to hear at just the right time, with friends who make my day with an unexpected surprise, email or text.  He feeds my soul with hugs and kisses and "You're the best mom ever" (even though I'm not)!  He sends His sustaining love to me in so many ways..............and to you, too.  

You just have to learn to see it. 

In the darkest of the darkest days, in the moments when there seems to be no end and you just have nothing left to give (you've been there, I know you have), turn to Him.  He's been there the whole time.  Lovingly waiting to give your soul what it so desperately needs, and for you to give back to Him whatever it is you keep taking out of His hands.

And unlike us, He can handle it......and begin to show us that we are, in the midst of this crazy, chaotic, stressful  life......

BLESSED.  Abundantly and indescribably so.


Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

♪ Oh soul are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There's light for a look at the Saviour,
And life more abundant and free.

Refrain
Turn your eyes upon Jesus, 
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, 
In the light of His Glory and Grace.

Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
Over us sin no more hath dominion -
For more than conquerors we are!

Refrain
Turn your eyes upon Jesus, 
Look full in His wonderful face, 
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, 
In the light of His Glory and Grace.

His Word shall not fail you - He promised;
Believe Him, and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell.

Refrain
Turn your eyes upon Jesus, 
Look full in His wonderful face, 
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, 
In the light of His Glory and Grace. ♪



Isaiah 40:28-31

New King James Version (NKJV)
28 Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the LORD,       The Creator of the ends of the earth,  Neither faints nor is weary.  His understanding is unsearchable. 29 He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength. 30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall, 31 But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles,       They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.













FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG


9 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

"with many wonderful blessings come stress"

That is so true. But thankfully we can turn to the Lord with that. Such a beautiful testimony of faith here. And I love your ending with Isaiah 40. Our Lord never gets weary!

Rebecca said...

Seriously, do you live in my head? I so get your entire post! I love your words and truly hope to meet you one day!

Jennifer said...

Like Rebecca, I feel like you've been living in my house! I could have written a post like this almost word for word (except for the sewing parts ;) )! Thank you for the reminder to check my focus when I get overwhelmed!

Anonymous said...

I am stressed just reading about your stress! Just kidding. You are justifiably stressed and that is ok. I am glad you find the time to write and share the Lord with us in the midst of it all. Hopefully writing is a stress releiver for you. It makes me smile when I read it. Thanks.

Jamie said...

Yep as much as I'd love to get behind that saying, I get stressed too. I am also thankful for being so blessed. It's all about attitude I guess. And coping skills lol.


Jamie
For Love of Cupcakes

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I found you through Welcome Wednesday! I don't know a woman out there that isn't stressed! Thank you for the inspiration!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Jill, what an awesome blog! So happy I found you via the Welcome Wednesday blog hop! I am now your newest follower; and I hope you will follow me, too! God bless you!

Oh the joys of boys said...

new follower here. jessica from oh the joys of boys
http://ohhthejoysofboys.blogspot.com

Kajal said...

hi! love your post...it makes so much sense to me..I am stressed but so blessed !

your newest follower from Welcome Wednesday. you can find me at http://purplechronicle.blogspot.com/