Thursday, October 27, 2011

Tomato Basil Soup



  • I got this recipe many moons ago from Light & Tasty, a magazine put out by Taste of Home.  It's a perfect accompaniment to the last recipe I posted, Chicken Pesto Paninis.  It's yummy just the way it is, but I sometimes add some freshly pressed garlic to it, because we love our garlic and it's good for you!  I'm thinking about making it this weekend, in addition to some other goodies for one of the few football games I actually care to watch.  Go Dawgs!! =)
  • Tomato Basil Soup

  • Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
photo & recipe by: Taste of Home


  • 4 medium carrots, finely chopped
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 can (49 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth, divided
  • 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
  • 5 teaspoons dried basil
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk


In a Dutch oven, cook carrots and onion in butter over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
    In a blender, place 1/2 broth and the cooled vegetables; cover and process until blended. Return to the Dutch oven. Stir in the tomato puree, basil sugar, salt, pepper and remaining broth. 
    Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Gradually stir in evaporated milk; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts). 


3 comments:

The Cheese Thief said...

yum . i love tomato soup
Stopping by from the blog hop. I'm a new follower. Hope you can check me out at thecheesethief.blogspot.com

Momma said...

Hi
following you from my crazy life hop. Hope you will follow me back. http://www.moneysavingmommainnnj.com

Thanks!!

Jenny said...

Soup looks yummy - perfect with a grilled cheese I think :)
Following you from Keepin' Co. Thursday - hope you will follow back.