Thursday, September 29, 2011

Beefy Calzones

I have a  recipe for you....because it's on my menu of things to make within the next week or so, and apparently there's a few of you out there who have missed my regular recipe posting! =)  Roast is on sale this week, so I'll be stocking up and roasting for future recipes like this one......

These calzones are always a hit with my family. =)  I make my own pizza dough and double the sauce to make sure we have plenty for dipping. I also frequently toss in 1 cup of frozen green pepper/ red pepper/ onion blend instead of the onion and bell pepper called for. I have made them with ground beef, but our *favorite* way is with leftover roast beef. Either way, they're good! These freeze well also.  Try them.  You'll like them.  If you don't, your kids will! ; )

Beefy Calzones

Beefy Calzones. Photo by Sweet Diva




Ingredients:

    • 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb beef roast 
    • 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
    • 1/4 cup bell peppers, finely chopped
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
    • 1/2 cup A-1 Steak Sauce
    • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    • 2 (11 ounce) packages refrigerated pizza dough
    • 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded ( 8 oz.)

Directions:


  1. In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook beef, onion, pepper and garlic until beef is no longer pink, stirring to break up meat;drain.
  2. Keep warm.
  3. In small skillet, over medium-high heat, heat tomato sauce, steak sauce & Italian seasoning to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
  5. Stir 1 cup tomato sauce mixture into beef mixture; set aside.
  6. Keep remaining tomato sauce mixture warm. Unroll pizza dough from 1 package; divide into 4 equal pieces.
  7. Roll each piece into 6 square; spoon 1/3 cup reserved beef mixture onto center of each square.
  8. Top with ¼ cup cheese.
  9. Fold dough over to form triangle.
  10. Press edges together, sealing well with tines of a fork.

  1. Repeat with remaining dough, filling & cheese to make a total of 8 calzones.
  2. Bake at 400* for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
  3. Serve with warm sauce. Garnish as desired. Serves 8.
     Notice my new banner?  Come back next Thursday for another recipe.....I've put myself on schedule! =)
Photobucket

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great, now I'm hungry! Those look delicious!!!! Anything wrapped in a carb shell has got to be good :)

laurie said...

This looks like an easy and delicious recipe!

Jennifer said...

These look delicious. Thanks for sharing!

the Mcclanahan 7 said...

This looks so good. I always use hamburger in my calzones. I'll have to try your recipe and see if we like it this way. We buy a whole cow every year so we always have leftover meat.

Anonymous said...

great recipe.