Saturday, January 22, 2011

4,5, & 6......Lies Women Believe.....

Continuing my journey through Lies Women Believe and The Truth That Sets Them Free.....(If you're just joining in and are interested ~ you can find earlier posts on this book by clicking on the tag "Lies Women Believe" at the bottom of this one.)

Lie #4:  God Is Really Not Enough

Do we really believe that He is?  When we walk out of the church building and back into our lives and all the crazy, difficult, discouraging things that come our way ~ do we believe His Word is sufficient to deal with them? 

Do we really turn to Him and trust that His Word is applicable for all our issues, needs, relationships and situations?  Or, do we need Him in addition to  the books from the Christian bookstore, CDs, counselors, close friends, children, husbands, etc?

If you have a relationship with God, is that really enough?  None of the things listed above are bad things.....they are blessings given to us by Him.  But, do we look to these and other things and people to fill the empty places of our hearts?

HE is the one we need to fill those empty places.  When we truly believe and live as though He really is enough, when our hope is built only in Him, we can then enjoy all those blessings to the fullest extent ~ and when they aren't there, or people disappoint us, hurt us, etc.....our world may be shaken, but it won't fall apart.

Lie #5:  God's Ways Are Too Restrictive

I have to admit ~ this is a non-issue with me.  I can't help it and can't take credit for it ~ it's just who I am.    I've never had a problem living within God's laws, but my natural personality is not a rebellious one. 

If yours is, do you find living within His laws unreasonable, burdensome, or unfair?  Scripture teaches repeatedly that God's laws are for our good and protection.  I'm not talking about legalism within the church, but the laws found in His Holy Word.  The problem with asserting our freedoms to choose not to do things God's way is that it leads to things we are not free to choose ~ the consequences and bondage that we find ourselves in.

The Truth is that TRUE freedom comes from obedience.  His restrictions are always for our good.

Lie #6:  God  Should Fix My Problems

This is one I am sometimes susceptible to, but Satan like to us it in a more subtle way with me.  I don't really think that He's my genie-in-a-bottle just waiting to wait on me every time I call, but sometimes when I've prayed and prayed and prayed, and my prayer is for a REALLY good thing ~ even something that I could and want to us for His glory ~ and I haven't gotten my solution or the answer I want yet, I'll hear the lies that leads to disillusionment and disappointment.....that He didn't come through for me, doesn't hear my prayers, or even that  He doesn't love me.

Yes, I hear the lie, but thankfully, I know the TRUTH.  Life is hard.  I know that better than some people may realize.  It's been hard in the past, it's hard right now, and it will be hard in the future.  We live in a fallen world, but I know that God isn't removed or detached from my problems.  I also know that His goal for my life is not for me to be free from all of my problems....it's through going through the hard times, the trials, the days when all I can do is put one foot in front of the other, and working through the problems that He molds me, shapes me, and continues the process of making me who He wants me to be.  He uses my problems as part of His sanctifying process in my life.......and I believe His Word in Romans 8:28 ~ "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose."  I have seen how He has used circumstances that broke me as a child, and difficulties and problems I've worked through as an adult, to shape who I am today.  I've been in places where I couldn't understand WHY at the time, but am now so very thankful that He knew better than I.   Some of my life's biggest blessings would not be mine had I gotten what I thought I wanted at the time. 

I trust Him completely (more than I trust myself).

You can, too.

(mute the auto music player at the bottom of the page to hear the music video)






1 comment:

Renee Ann said...

Excellent post! Thanks for the great reminders . . .