Friday, March 25, 2011

Quinoa Tabouleh - Recipe


Back when my life was my own (or, I thought it was - aka: before children), I was going to school  for Interior Design while working as a store manager for a local decorative fabric store.

One of my very ♥sweet♥ employees was an older lady named Mary Tringadjis, who kind of adopted me into her family and treated me as such ♥.  Mary introduced me to the wonderful, amazing flavors of Greek and Mediterranean food and made the most amazing Baklava I had ever tried, or have tried since.  I thought I didn't like baklava until I had hers ~ I am convinced no one could make it like she could!  When I was expecting my daughter, she would bring me all of my favorites on a regular basis. =)

While this isn't a recipe for Baklava, it is a Mediterranean recipe and every time I make it, I think of Mary and silently thank her for exposing me to what has now become my favorite Ethnic cuisine......and I sometimes close my eyes and imagine I am in the one place in the world I would go if I could:

Care to join me? ; )

Unfortunatley, I'm not there right now.  : ( 

But, I am starting a fruit and veggie fast today.  Because I am exhausted.  Really exhausted.  And don't feel well......and kind of tired of not feeling well.  Often when I get in this run-down rut, I find that fasting and praying helps get me back where I need to be.  So, that's what I'm going to do......and this recipe fits into my fast for lunch or dinner.  When I'm not fasting, I combine it with my homemade hummus and grilled portebello mushrooms and wrap it in a whole grain wrap.  Amazingly, wonderfully, healthfully delicious!!

Quinoa Tabouleh




Photo by Timeless Gourmet

 Prep Time: 10 mins Total Time: 30 mins Servings: 6-8

Ingredients :

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 -2 medium tomatoes, cut into cubes
1 medium onions or 6 green onions, finely chopped
1 medium cucumbers, peeled and cut into cubes
1 small green peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes ( opt)
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
1 cup fresh mint, Finely Chopped or 1 teaspoon dried mint
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
pepper

Directions:

Put the quinoa in a wire strainer and thoroughly rinse with hot water to remove any bitter flavor.

In a medium saucepan, bring the water and quinoa to a boil over high heat.

Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes.

Let cool completely.

Stir the tomatoes, onion, cucumber and parsley into the quinoa.

In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, garlic and salt.

Pour over the quinoa and toss well.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving

2 comments:

Shelley said...

I ADORE everything Quinoa!!! Thanks for sharing. This looks amazing. :)

Miriam said...

This is a truly beautiful recipe :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters