Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The T-Shirt Dress....and the Mannequin that Taunts Me

A couple of weeks ago, I received a call from a friend.  Her sweet daughter had come home from school with the good news that she needed a t-shirt dress constructed for a school play......and she needed it in two days. =)

Sweet Diva to the rescue. ; )

The order:  Pink t-shirt to be transformed into a dress by adding ruffles for the skirt.  And make it cute  {well, of course! ; ) }.

Fortunately, I was planning to head to ♥Hobby Lobby♥ the very next morning anyway to purchase items needed for another order.  I searched around for inspiration on how I wanted to construct this cute concoction and found several cute tutorials:

Cool People Sew ~ I love this blog and stalk it frequently....and I sew, so I must be cool! ; )
Cut-Out and Keep ~ Make & Share Step-by-Step Craft Tutorials ~ ruffle skirt {I am So coming back to this ~ my daughter loves this skirt}
Kuky Ideas ~ tiered skirt tutorial

The finished product:



Cute, yes??

Even laying on it's side! (why does Blogger sometimes do this to me?  This photo refuses to load right side up!  Posting anyway out of stubbornness.)

Notice that although one photos is sideways, neither are laying on a flat surface!  I purchased a set of mannequins from Amazon.....a toddler size that was used to display the cute aprons I posted about yesterday, a child size, and an adult female size.  Items look so much nicer when displayed properly, don't you think?!

I must admit, however, that I have issues with this female mannequin ~ and since I'm pretty sure that about 99.9% of my readers are female, I'll go ahead with my rant.  This mannequin taunts me every time I pull her out of the box.  She has no head, no face, no arms, no legs, no hands, no feet.......and yet she taunts me.  I am shallow.  And I don't look as good as she does!!  I think she must do nothing but excercise, and she must not each very much at all.  Ridiculous, I know.  But have pity on me...........I just celebrated turning another year older and I need to go bathing suit shopping.  And I'm having a hard time lately finding time to make it to the gym......and I eat healthy, but I do like food so I think I will never be as thin as I'd like to be....and  to be honest, I don't think I've ever looked as good as she does!! 

Wretched mannequin.  I have her hidden in a box in the back of my closet. =)  I only bring her out when I need her and make sure my husband and my boys don't see her when I do.....unless she has layers of clothing on.  When she does make an appearance ~ without fail, that nagging voice, that persistent lie that inspired THIS post reappears as well.  I suppose I'll always battle with feeling like I'll never measure up { <------- pun not intended, but I just noticed it ; ) } even though I know that it really isn't what matters.  Sigh.

The fact that I know so many other women who struggle with this issue as well is the only reason I'm willing to admit it here.  Even as I'm berating myself over my inadequacies, the Lord is reminding me of His truths.  It's a constant back and forth.....this battle of the flesh and the world's ideals vs. What Really Matters.  It's in times like these I often think of and am thankful for one of the side effects of the busy-ness of Homeschooling, being a WAH mom and juggling everything else as well.  I simply don't have time to dwell on the outer shell that will never be what the world says it should be ~ this is a good thing.  I am also thankful anew for the Homeschooling lifestyle and my fellow Homeschooling moms.  It is a lifestyle that has me so immersed in focusing on what is right and lasting and worthwhile, so dependant on God, that it's literally impossible to stay in that woe-is-me-I'm-not-perfect mentality for long.  Praise the Lord for that......I don't like being there!

So, since I just had to dress the mannequin-that-stays-in-the-back-of-the-closet.....and then put her back there ~ way back ~ my Mustard Seed Planting scripture for the week is:

 "But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart. 
1 Samuel 16:7

It may say He's talking to Samuel, but trust me......He's talking to me as well!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, I am so thankful God sees my heart...he knows that I hurt...and I'm a sinner and he knows my deepest desire is to live through his son....so that I become invisible....I fall so short, but love his grace and mercy.....

Anonymous said...

If you were any thinner, you would blow away. Obviously, you don't see what other people see.

Sarah said...

Well, I love the dress! I am following you back :)

Quirky Homemaker said...

That silly mannequine, taunting you like that! I've been thinking in the last couple days that my worst "sin" is probably vanity. I've gotten better over the years. Now, I can actually leave the house without makeup on and DO 6 out of 7 days probably. But still, I see that little tummy and the gray roots before I color and a little age spot here and a wrinkle there. . . and I just feel "unpretty". I'm so glad that God sees the real me and can help me get over this vanity! Thanks for posting and for linking up with us at the S&R weekend hop. I love the Bible verse at the top of your blog! See you next weekend!