Friday, April 29, 2011

"The First Escape" by G.P. Taylor ~ Tyndale House Book Review

319476: #1: The First Escape, The Dopple Ganger Chronicles #1: The First Escape, The Dopple Ganger Chronicles
By G.P. Taylor / Tyndale House
Mischievous identical twins Sadie and Saskia Dopple live in the same orphanage as their only friend, Erik Ganger. When wealthy Muzz Elliott adopts Saskia, Muzz's own twin plots against her. Saskia tries to foil the crime as Sadie and Erik search for Saskia. Taylor's exciting "illustra-novel" combines graphic format with traditional text. Ages 8 to 12. 288 pages, hardcover from Tyndale.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

As a book reviewer for Tyndale House, I saw this book up for review and thought I'd give it a try. As a mom of three, I'm always on the look-out for a quality read for my children and thought I'd choose a book that they might possibly enjoy as well. The book is marketed to the Christian genre, yet the style is compared to that of the Potter books and is also compared to C.S. Lewis.

Unfortunatley, I have to disagree. Not a fan of the occult theme of the Potter books, when I saw the comparison to C.S. Lewis and the fact that it was being pushed in the Christian market, I thought it would be free from the occult influences. The book is quite dark and the inclusion of a seance was quite disappointing to me. I have yet to find anything decidedly Christian about it, and think that the comparison to C.S. Lewis is a bit over the top.

The "mischievious" twins are rude, mean, disrespecful, dishonest and downright bratty. All of these are qualities we can all possess in our sinful nature, but none of which are qualities that I feel need to be encouraged in my children. The storyline is dark, involves murder, people willing and ready to hurt children, guns carried by evil people more than ready to use them, and references to the occult. It is marketed to children ages 8-12 and I feel that none of these subject matters are appropriate for those age levels.

With my children being avid readers and the wealth of worthwhile books available to them, I feel no need to add this one to their reading lists.

This book was provided by Tyndale House in exhange for my honest review.

No comments: