Thursday, September 16, 2010

Granny's Fresh Apple Cake




Good Morning, Fall!  I've been waiting for you!!  In honor of your arrival, I'm linking up Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms for their Apple Theme.......

Granny's Fresh Apple Cake

My favorite apple cake - packed with sentimentality! Granny used to make this when I was growing up - it was one of my favorite flavors of her love! ♥

I have adapted it a little to make it healthier, but am posting the original recipe with my healthy substitutions in parenthesis - I lowered the fat content &  use freshly ground wheat or oat flour in place of the all purpose. **PLEASE NOTE** If you substitute store-bought wheat flour for the all-purpose, you do not need to add the additional amount of flour - just use the same amount as all-purpose (I would use 1/2 all-purpose & 1/2 store-purchased wheat).


Ingredients

2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup oil (1/2 cup canola oil + 1 cup unsweetened applesauce)
3 eggs
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour (3 3/4 cups freshly ground soft wheat flour or 3 3/4 cups oat flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped apples (preferably Granny Smith)
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chopped coconut


Glaze
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup orange juice

Directions

Mix together flour, soda, salt and cinnamon and add to first mixture.

Stir in apples, pecans and coconut.

Pour mixture into greased and floured tube pan.

Bake at 325°F for 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes, or until cake leaves side of pan and cake tests done in the middle.

For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and orange juice, stirring until there are no lumps.


Pour glaze over hot cake, making sure it runs down sides of cake while still in pan.

Let stand for about 15 minutes before turning out of pan onto rack, quickly reversing over on another rack.
 
 
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
 
 
Enjoy......sit back, breathe in deeply and savor the aromas and flavors of fall, and ~ if you're like me, revisit comforting memories of yesteryear while creating flavorful memories for your family to cherish in their futures.  And....try to resist the urge to eat the entire cake in one sitting!  ; )


♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥






4 comments:

Becky@Daily On My way to Heaven said...

Jill, I have enjoyed visiting your place!

This recipe looks great! I am sure my family would love it!

Thank you for sharing,

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Your cake looks delicious, Jill...and your blog so fun. Thanks for visiting me and following too...I am going to do the same. I know I will enjoy keeping up with all of your comings and goings! Have a wonderful Thursday! Off to visit more of your posts!

Lana said...

I love your cake recipe! With my tree producing a ton of apples, I am gathering up different recipes to try with them! I am also a new follower. Stop by the farm for a visit sometime at www.walkingtheoff-beatenpath.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Jill that cake looks sooooo good,, I love Fall, but the cooking and recipes flow like honey and I want to try them all,, no wonder I have to go on a diet after every thanksgiving and christmas..lol
Oh well ,, its worth it..
thanks for sharing it.. Ill give it a try..
Have a blessed day. talk to ya soon