Monday, August 30, 2010

Recipe by Request: Mom, Can You make YOUR Bread? (Using Freshly Milled Flour)



This is my bread recipe that I make twice a week - makes great sandwich bread and toast! If I get too busy and buy bread from the store, it's not long before my children protest and make the above request. No kidding - one has even told me at the store, "You can buy that bread, but I'm not going to eat it! I want YOURS!" There's nothing like the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven - guaranteed to bring the kids running in from outside trying not to miss the moment when I pop it out of the pans. They know if they're there at the right time and ask with those big blue eyes, they're sure to get a warm slice spread with butter.....talk about comfort food!!! Posted for safe-keeping - made public at the request of a friend who calls me "The Bread Lady" - anytime we have a field trip with a picnic, she is always inspecting my kids' lunches trying to figure out my "secret".....she brings her kids over and says, "See how good that bread looks? If I could get my bread like that, wouldn't you eat it?" I don't even know what my secret is.......but here's the recipe for you! Good Luck! I mix and knead this with a KitchenAid stand mixer using the dough hook attachment. **NOTE** Flour amounts will not be the same if using store bought all-purpose or wheat flour.

Mom, Can You make YOUR Bread? (Using Freshly Milled Flour)


Ingredients:



1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 cup milk
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon salt
4 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
6 -6 1/2 cups freshly milled flour
1 1/2 tablespoons dough enhancer or 1 1/2 tablespoons lecithin powder
1 1/2 tablespoons gluten

Directions:


Combine water, milk, oil, honey and salt in a microwave safe bowl.


Microwave on high for approximately 2  minutes. (Temp should be between 130 - 135°F) If you do not have a thermometer, it is easy to get it too hot. and it will kill your yeast. Microwaves can also vary greatly in how fast they heat. Adjust as necessary.


In mixing bowl, combine 3 cups of flour, dough enhacer or lecithin, gluten and yeast; mix together.


Add liquid ingredients and mix until well blended.


Continue to mix adding the flour 1/2 cup at a time.


When the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl enough flour has been added.


Allow to knead 8-10 minutes, or until the dough forms a smooth ball .


Form into 2 loaves.


Place in greased loaf pans.


Let rise until at least doubled in size (about an hour). Yes, that's right - I only let the dough rise once.


Bake loaves at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.


*Note: One package of yeast is about 2-1/2 teaspoons of yeast.


*Note#2: Once, when I was rushed, I skipped the first rising time and just put the dough into my 2 loaf pans, let them rise and then baked. I couldn't tell any difference in the bread, so now I often do it this way.


*Note #3: I also often substitute another cup of water for the cup of milk.


*Note #4: I use a combination of the following: 1 cup soft white, 2 cups hard white, and 2 cups hard white BEFORE grinding.



Photobucket

1 comment:

annies home said...

dont you just love it when our children request recipes that are good for them thanks for sharing come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com